Maat organizes the first meeting for the Steering Committee of the project “The Universal Periodic Review – Egypt 2014”
Okeil: We were keen to call on the government to be a part of the project since the very beginning
Okeil: We are not an opposition entity and our role is to assist the government to abide by its commitments
Maat for Peace, Development, and Human Rights held the first meeting of the Steering Committee of the project ” The Universal Periodic Review as a tool to enhance public policy during the transitional period “, which is implemented by the Foundation and is funded by the European Union through 2016-2017, on Wednesday 20th January 2016.
Noting that the purpose of the Steering Committee is to stand over the progress of the project activities and offer suggestions and recommendations to manage the project, and thus contribute in the regular review. Also to be engaged in ensuring the participation of beneficiaries and stakeholders, and make efforts to win the support of local authorities, as well as to provide their groups with the developments and offer recommendations to the project team and the rest of the members of the Committee during the meetings and follow-up the schedule for the project. The Steering Committee of the project is composed of 10 representatives of civil society organizations, members of parliament, journalists and activists and the committee meetings are held on a quarterly basis.
The meeting discussed the role of the Steering Committee and the plan of the first quarter of the project, the importance of communicating with the government and involving it in the project activities, because the UPR process is participatory and because of that the foundation was keen through the first activity of the project to have a representative of the government during the inaugural conference of the project, the institutional structure of the project and the role of the members of the team in the project, and the work that has been done in the project during this month.
Ayman Okeil, the president of Maat, stressed during the meeting that the project will be implemented in all the governments of the republic in order to maximize the impact with focusing on the qualitative distribution of the stakeholders and beneficiaries of the project, and noted that the civil society’s role is to assist the government to abide by its commitments as the civil society is not on the opposition side.
According to Okeil, the project’s efforts aim to reach 18 million Egyptian citizen in order to inform them about the mechanism of the Universal Periodic Review, the obligations of Egypt, and their implementation during the project.
1. The importance of involving the national and local government agencies in the efforts and activities of the project,
2. Organizing a workshop for the members of the Steering Committee to raise their knowledge about the Universal Periodic Review mechanism and presenting the project in details,
3. The need to take an advantage of local partnerships and networks of the Steering Committee members with popular organizations in spreading of the project’s efforts,
4. The importance of selecting the NGOs members of the coalition according to specific criteria to be able to disseminate the project activities in their communities,
5. Regulate thematic meetings with members of parliament, who are members of the Steering Committee,
6. The importance of focusing on the popular efforts and delivering the project to the citizens and not only the intellectuals,
7. The importance of providing simplified information in an attractive and innovative way to suit all target groups,
8. The importance of identifying the target journalists and their background and training materials that they will receive,
9. Putting pressures in order to activate the work of government bodies responsible for protecting the rights of the citizen,
10. Working in schools and universities to give lectures on the UPR and implementation of Egypt’s obligations.
ماعت تنظم الاجتماع الأول للجنة التوجيهية لمشروع "الاستعراض الدوري
This post is also available in: العربية